tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 11 23:58:45 1999

Re: SuS tut

Alan Anderson wrote:

> ja'pu' K'ryntes:
> >QelHom jIH...
>
> ja' DloraH:
> >You may be a QelHom (I don't know you), but just in case you aren't aware,
> >rachwI' is nurse.

Yes, I'm aware of the word but being a nurse is so much more than someone who
fortifies.  Yes, nurses provide emotional support and TLC but I also give
medications, write minor orders, perform minor invasive procedures, decide
treatment methods, and so on and so on.  RNs in skilled care facilities operate
without the presence of a doctor and therefore we are lawfully permitted to do
things that, if in a hospital, only a doctor could do.  Nurses aren't just
Florence Nightengales any more.  We are that plus much more.  So while
{rachwI'} is a nice term that portrays an important aspect of nursing, it
doesn't begin to accurately portray what I do.  That's why I prefer {QelHom}.

K'ryntes

> As long as you keep in mind that {rachwI'} is specifically someone who
> "strengthens, fortifies", then it's often the correct term to translate
> "nurse".  {QelHom} would more likely be the proper way to refer to a
> medical intern, but I can see it applying to a nurse who is acting as a
> physician's assistant.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level