tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 15:08:35 1998

Re: opera: travel thru

I didn't choose {Sup} because of any English idiom. I chose it
because "jump" implies leaving one place, skipping over space
and then landing in another place. While it is not physically
that different from walking, the sense of jumping is different.
It involves a less continuous motion, like leaving and arriving
without traversing. That's what I understand time travel to be.

If you are cryogenically frozen, then you wake up in 2498, do
you consider yourself to have travelled forward in time? If not,
perhaps it is because, even though you were not conscious, your
body existed through all those seconds you were frozen. Time
travel implies not doing that. It implies arriving at another
time without traversing through time to get there. During all
that time you "travelled through", you didn't participate in
space.

I personally think the whole idea is absurd, so I don't think it
is worth a lot of argument, but I don't see time travel as
travel at all. When you travel, you move through a medium. You
don't skip.

charghwI' 'utlh

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998 23:45:13 -0800 (PST) "Andeen, Eric"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> lab muHwI':
> > How do I say that, travelling through something? (e.g. travel
> > through space). {vegh} is only for something that is around you
> > (a hole).
>
> jang charghwI':
> > Likely, Klingons would not see this as travel THROUGH time.
> > They might see it as "jumping" to a time. We have a verb for
> > that. {Sup}. Does that help?
>
> Try as I might, I just can't see <Sup> as this sort of "jump". In English
> science fiction, the word "jump" gets used a lot for instaneous transitions,
> like "jumping" into and out of hyperspace or subspace or whatever, or
> "jumping" between times.
>
> When interpreting the defintions we are given in the dictionary, we can't
> allow ancillary meanings of the English words to affect our understanding of
> the Klingon. The English "see" has all sorts of meanings, including the
> romantic relationship meaning ("I'm seeing someone") and the "oh, really" or
> "that's interesting" meaning ("I see", optionally accompanied by a raised
> eyebrow). The primary meaning, though, is to percieve a fairly narrow band
> of electromagnetic radiation. I would not even think of applying either of
> these other meanings to the Klingon <legh>.
>

> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level