tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 27 23:31:23 1998

Re: opera: travel thru

lab muHwI':
> How do I say that, travelling through something? (e.g. travel
> through space). {vegh} is only for something that is around you
> (a hole).

jang charghwI':
> Likely, Klingons would not see this as travel THROUGH time.
> They might see it as "jumping" to a time. We have a verb for
> that. {Sup}. Does that help?

Try as I might, I just can't see <Sup> as this sort of "jump". In English
science fiction, the word "jump" gets used a lot for instaneous transitions,
like "jumping" into and out of hyperspace or subspace or whatever, or
"jumping" between times.

When interpreting the defintions we are given in the dictionary, we can't
allow ancillary meanings of the English words to affect our understanding of
the Klingon. The English "see" has all sorts of meanings, including the
romantic relationship meaning ("I'm seeing someone") and the "oh, really" or
"that's interesting" meaning ("I see", optionally accompanied by a raised
eyebrow). The primary meaning, though, is to percieve a fairly narrow band
of electromagnetic radiation. I would not even think of applying either of
these other meanings to the Klingon <legh>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level