tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 28 23:40:21 1998

batlh tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh 'e' vIneH. DaH Samuv.

Welcome to the list, juDmoS. My name is pagh, and I am the current
Beginners' Grammarian. It's my job to help beginners' learn Klingon.
Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it for my attention by
putting the letters KLBC in the subject line.

The first correction is in your subject line: never use <'e'> with <neH>.
You got the "Sentence As Object" (SAO) construction just right, but when the
main verb of the second sentence is <neH>, the <'e'> is omitted.

lab juDmoS:

> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh 'e' vIpo'choH 'e' vInej.
<po'> is defined as "be skilled", and not "be skilled in/at (something)", so
it cannot take an object. I don't think you damage the meaning at all if you
just make a separate sentence out of it:

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh. jIpo'choH 'e' vInej.

<... 'e' vInej> also sounded a bit weird when I first heard it, but after
thinking about it a bit, it sounds fine.

> tuboQlaH 'e' vIyaj. tlhIHvaD jabbI'IDvam vImuch.
maj.

> chaq 'u'Daq choHtaH, pagh choHlaH ta'meymaj. 'ach, SuvwI' tIqDaq, Hoch
> choHlaH ta'meyDaj. nuDel ta'meymaj 'e' not yIlIj.

> (What I *think* I said was, "Perhaps in the ever-changing Universe, our
> accomplishments can change nothing. But, within the heart of a Warrior,
his
> accomplishments can change everything. Never forget that it is our
> accomplishments which define us.)

What you said was almost exactly that. The first bit, <... 'u'Daq choHtaH
...> is not quite right. You want the <choHtaH> to describe the universe, so
you need to add the suffix <-bogh>, and since the universe is the subject of
the verb <choH>, you need to fix the sentence order. Since you also want to
talk about *this* universe, you could add <-vam>:

chaq choHtaHbogh 'u'vamDaq ...

The only other problem is a prefix error. Both <pagh> and <Hoch> are treated
as grammatically singular, so you need the <lu-> prefix on <choHlaH> both
times you use it.

Finally, I would have said <... not 'e' yIlIj>, but yours is perfectly legal
as well. If you are interested in a (probably long) explanation of this,
post a follow up message.

In any case, this is an excellent post. It's also a bit depressing for some
of us old-timers - the Klingon in your first post is much better than I did
for several *months* after joining the list.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level