tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 26 15:54:36 1998

Re: RE:

ghItlh SuStel:

>While this certainly works, I've found (and this is entirly my own opinion)
>that such rhetorical questions become very tiresome to read. To me, it
>simply seems the ultimate in un-Klingon things to do, asking a question
when
>you know perfectly well what the answer is, just so you can find a
>grammatical way to state it.
>
>Such questions ("I know why the officer killed the coward") are really
>stating two things: "The officer killed the coward," and "I know the
>reason." In the simplest, non-context sentence, you can simply state these.
>{nuch HoH yaS. meq vISov.}

maQochbe'.

<bom toQ jonta'bogh 'ej meq vIyaj> - perhaps better than the above for "I
know why the caged bird sings"? As SuStel wisely says:

>I recommend not relying on such formulae.

maQochbe'qu'. Formulae limit the translator, like a low resolution limits
your monitor's ability to display realistic images. It is a help only to
understand _a_ way to do it - once the concept is grasped, throw the formula
aside and communicate as purely in tlhIngan Hol as possible.

Qermaq

P.S. qaStaHvIS loS jaj jIvumnISbe'mo' jItlho'. tlho'meH jajvam yItIv.

Back to archive top level