tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 17 09:34:52 1998

Re: DS9: Once More into the Breach

At 09:07 AM 11/17/98 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 06:05:34 -0800 (PST) "Rose, Thornton
>(Atlanta)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> nuq 'oH <DAH KHAR (sp?)> pIn'a''e'? Sov vay'? <CHAH-VAY> mugh je vay'?
>>
>> What is a "DAH KHAR" (sp?) master? Does anyone know? Also, did anyone
>> translate "CHAH-VAY"?
>>
>> ~ Thornton
>
>If you ever get good at "translating" what you hear on the TV
>shows, you should start translating Dr. Bronner bottles. I'm
>sure there's some Klingon hidden there, too.
>
>The TV shows spew gibberish. Deal with it. It is not the case
>that they are saying Klingon stuff and we are not understanding
>it. THE TV WRITERS DON'T KNOW ANY KLINGON! THE ACTORS DON'T KNOW
>ANY KLINGON! THE DIRECTORS DON'T KNOW ANY KLINGON! FOR ALL WE
>KNOW, THEY COULD BE SPEAKING MADARIN CHINESE!

I wouldn't go so far as that.  True, usually it's gibberish, but
sometimes it almost makes sense.  I'm reminded of Worf's lament
for Dax, which did not take much re-working to be understandable.
Also, several seasons ago, Dax said to someone "doko, doko", which
from the context was clearly supposed to be /(yI)DoghQo'/ "Don't be
foolish".  Then, too, there are the words like /parmaqqay/ that
_seem_ to be gibberish, but turn out not to be. 8+)

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level