tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 14 21:45:30 1998

KLBC: A few paragraphs

Hello!

  I have written a few paragraphs, and I was wondering if I could get some
help on them.  pagh, I took your suggestion of putting our own thoughts to
words, and came up with a few things...

  Here's the original English that I started with:

	I have wanted to learn Klingon for a while.  A friend of mine
speaks Greek, Italian and English.  I feel that I am missing out.  I feel
that your intellectual capacity is tied to how you can communicate your
knowledge.  So any knew way of expressing your knowledge should be
exploited.

	I would learn a language such as French or Spanish, but that would
be too practical!  Also, they are very much like English structurally,
which is not very interesting.  So, I decided to pursue Klingon, which
will definitely make me unique, here in Alabama!

	But, I am concerned that some ancient languages are dying out
(such as Native American languages); I have heard that some have no nouns!
These languages shouldn't be lost -- although, that doesn't mean that
learning Klingon is bad.  Hopefully those native speakers will save their
heritage and language, with the help of linguists.

	I was trying to read and translate all the messages on the
tlhIngan-Hol mailing list -- this got impractical!  I couldn't decide who
was using correct Klingon.  So, I decided to write my own paragraphs and
get help on them.  That way, I can put my own thoughts to paper and learn
the words that I want to learn.

  Here's my modification of the English (to fit the Klingon, or to make
myself more clear) and my Klingon translations:

E: I want to learn Klingon well.
K: tlhIngan Hol vIghojpu' 'e' vIneH.

E: My friend speaks Greek, Italian, and English fluently.
K: <Greek> Hol <Italian> Hol <English> Hol je jatlhqu' jupwI'.

NOTE: (I think the nouns followed by the <je> here might be ambiguous)

E: I am not using an interesting opportunity.
K: ghol Daj vIlo'be'.

(I couldn't find an "exploit" or "take advantage of" anywhere)

E: I believe your intelligence depends on your knowledge communication
  language.
K: Sovghach Qumghach HolwIj wuv valghachwIj 'e' vIHar.

NOTE: (might be too many <-ghach> occurrences or just plain wrong ones.
Is that even close for "knowledge communcation language? <Sovghach
Qumghach Hol?)  I guess I could have just used simply <Hol>)

E: Try many different knowledge communication languages.
K: Sovghach Qumghach Holmey law' pIm tInID.

E: I can learn French or Spanish, but Klingons and I are unable to
  communicate.
K: <French> Hol <Spanish> Hol joq vIghojchugh, vaj maQumlaHQo'
  tlhInganpu' jIH je.

E: They closely resemble English, so they are not interesting.
K: <English> Hol lururqu', vaj Dajlaw'Qo'

E: Therefore, I am now learning Klingon.
K: vaj DaH tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaH.

E: Thus, me and my Alabama neighbors are very different!
K: vaj, jIH <Alabama>Daq jIl je maPImqu'!

E: Now, I am concerned about ancient languages that are dying (Native
   American languages).
K: DaH, HeghtaHbogh Hol tIQ vISaHtaH (Sung <American> Holmey)

E: Somebody told me that one language has no nouns!
K: DIpmey ngaSQo' wa' Hol 'e' vIja'lu'ta'!

E: Don't allow these languages to die, but learn Klingon also!
K: HeghtaH Holmeyvam tIchaw'Qo' 'ach tlhIngan Hol yIghoj je!

E: Perhaps soon these languages will be saved by speakers and experts.
K: chaq tugh Holmeyvam toD jatlhwI'pu' ghotpu' po'.

E: It is not possible for me to translate all the of the messages on the
   tlhIngan Hol mailing list.
K: DuHbe' <tlhIngan Hol mailing list>Daq Hoch jabbI'IDmey vImughtaH.

E: I can't decide who is using correct Klingon.
K: tlhIngan Hol lugh jatlhlu'taH vItu'be'.

E: Now I am writing paragraphs, and perhaps soon pagh will help (guide)
   me.
K: DaH, mu'tlheghmey vIghItlhtaH 'ej chaq tugh jIH Dev <pagh>.

E: Then, I can write my ideas on paper and learn the words which I need to
   know.
K: vaj, navDaq qechmeywIj vIghItlh 'ej mu'mey vIghojnISbogh vIghojlaH.

   I hope I can get some help with this.  I also hope that it's not too
much, I don't want to make a bad impression, here...  I don't have the
Klingon for the Galactic Traveller yet (I can't find it here in
Huntsville) so there may be some words that are more appropriate, but I
don't know them yet!  Of course, there are plenty in TDK I don't know yet
8-)

					Michael

Back to archive top level