tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 14 13:03:43 1998

Re: KLBC: hi

Andeen, Eric wrote:

> Welcome to the list, Philip.
>
> lab Philip J. Hachey:
>

> > ben puS tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom vIje' 'ach wej Hol vIghojta'.
>
> DaghojchoHbej. DaghojtaHvIS, not Daghojta' 'e' Datu'.
> We are all still learning, and will never be finished learning.

I'm having a bit of a problem with your second Klingon phrase above.
I think you're saying something like,
"While you are learning it, notice that it's never you have learned it."
But I could only translate as,
"While you are learning it, notice that you have never learned it."

I know part of my misunderstanding, and that is exactly how to handle <not> in a
phrase using <'e'>.  Let me introduce a precise syntax where x(y) means x refers
to y or x is applied to y.  Which of the following correctly captures <not
Daghojta' 'e' Datu'> ?:
a) Datu' (not (Daghojta'))
b) not (Datu' (Daghojta'))

Or is it the case that the phrase expresses both (a) and (b) depending on
context?  If not, then if the phrase expresses (a), how does one express (b),
and vice versa?

 -- pong ghajbe'bogh ghaH

Back to archive top level