tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 12 19:16:34 1998

RE: KLBC: hi

lab Phil:

> My trials and translations, oh my! (help!)

Pretty good. I'll only comment on problems, so you can assume the rest is
OK.

> Robyn Stewart wrote:
>
> > chorur.
>
> You're like me. [or "you resemble me"]
>
> > wa'maH cha' ben mu'ghom vIje' 'ach wej ben Hol vIghojchoH.
>
> Twelve years ago [!!], I bought the dictionary, but [the
> -choH suffix gives me trouble here] I did not yet begin
> learning the language years ago ["back then"?].

Very close. You have been taken in by the one really annoying ambiguity in
the Klingon language - <wej> here means "three", and not "not yet". The
<-choH> means "began" or "started" in this case, so Qov is saying "... but I
started learning the language three years ago."

The other ambiguities make Klingon more interesting and natural, but the
<wej> problem is often just a pain.

> > pablIj vIchov net chaw'be'.
>
> It's not permitted to evaluate your grammar.

It's not permitted that *I* evaluate your grammar.  (*I* meaning Qov here,
since it was her setnence). Your sentence would be <pablIj chovlu' net
chaw'be'>.

> >  *Ontario* DuSaQ'a'Daq jIghoj je.
>
> I also learn at an Ontario university (or "High School"?).

<DuSaQ'a'> is usually used for college or university around here.

> >  (DaH *Vancouver* vIDab).
>
> (I now ___________ Vancouver). [no clue with "vIDab".  I
> assume Dab is a verb, but I couldn't find it.]

<Dab> is a verb meaning "live in, dwell at" (or something like that), and is
found in Klingon for the Galactic Traveller. KGT has quite a few new words,
many of which get used fairly regulary these days.

> > chu'wI' pab chov pagh neH.
>
> Only pagh evaluates the grammar of newbies. [:-)]

teHbej.

> > (pong 'oH *pagh*'e' - yImISchoHQo'!)
>
> (The name is "pagh" - don't be confused!) [I had luckily read
> other posts by pagh, so I wasn't! :-) ]
>
> > janglaHchu' pagh.
>
> pagh can answer clearly.
>
> > > 2) How do you express events which take place over a period of
> > > time/space?  For example:
> > > a) For two years, I have suffered humiliation.
> > > b) I controlled the shuttle for a thousand km.
> >
> > *appendix* yIlaD.
>
> Read the appendix.
>
> > pabvetlh much /qetbogh loD/ qelbogh mu'tlhegh.
>
> It presents that grammar /the man which runs/ the sentence
> which is taken into account. [I'm not really following here..
> perhaps it would help if I knew the precise semantics of the
> slashes]

You got pretty close. The slashes here are like quotation marks. Since
regular " quotation marks can easily get mistaken for two of the letter <'>
in Klingon, most people avoid them and substitute something else. I usually
use angle brackets - <...>. Others use curly braces - {...}, or slashes -
/.../.

The subject of this sentence is the hard part. If you look at it a bit, you
can see that the subject is the whole </qetbogh loD/ qelbogh mu'tlhegh>
clause. You can figure out the rest of it from there. What it says is "The
sentence which considers "the running man" presents that grammar.

> > cha'logh chorur: jIghojchoHtaHvIS *appendix* vIbuSHa'mo' <tlhIngan
> > jIHbe'> jIjatlhlaHbe'.
>
> You're like me twice [or "for a second time", "in another
> way", or "in two ways"]: while I had begun to learn, I didn't
> concentrate on the appendix (I'm not Klingon) I cannot speak [.."it"?]

Good up until the last bit. <jatlh> is a verb of speaking, and the quote
(Qov uses <...>'s here for the quote) is just placed before it. Qov said
"... I couldn't say 'I'm not Klingon'".

> I had a breeze through the appendix, and I still don't see
> anything which suggests being able to expresss "period-based"
> expressions.  However, perhaps the following would work:
> cha' DISmeyvaD 'oy' vIbechpu'

This use of <-vaD> just doesn't work. I replied to this in more detail in my
response to your first post. It got delayed going out of my mail server, but
it finally made it to the list this morning. What does work is <qaStaHvIS
cha' DIS ...>.

> > SKI: Look out! Another Canadian who let the dictionary ferment has
> > arrived! qa-na-Da! qa-na-Da!
>
> SKI? -- that's an unfamiliar TLA to me. And, actually, the pages
> ARE looking a little yellowish .. giving it that old, classic look to it.
:-)

> > Qov - pab 'utlh
>
> Krov - grammar officer [?] :-)

In Klingon for the Galactic Traveller, we got a bit of clarification on
<'utlh>. What it really means is more like "retired officer", which is a
fairly big deal since most Klingon officers die while serving. Qov survived
the last year as BG. She got to retire in September when I took over.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level