tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 12 08:47:16 1998

Re: KLBC: hi

My trials and translations, oh my! (help!)

Robyn Stewart wrote:

> chorur.

You're like me. [or "you resemble me"]

> wa'maH cha' ben mu'ghom vIje' 'ach wej ben Hol vIghojchoH.

Twelve years ago [!!], I bought the dictionary, but [the -choH suffix gives
me trouble here] I did not yet begin learning the language years ago ["back
then"?].

> pablIj vIchov net chaw'be'.

It's not permitted to evaluate your grammar.

>  *Ontario* DuSaQ'a'Daq jIghoj je.

I also learn at an Ontario university (or "High School"?).

>  (DaH *Vancouver* vIDab).

(I now ___________ Vancouver). [no clue with "vIDab".  I assume Dab is a
verb, but I couldn't find it.]

> chu'wI' pab chov pagh neH.

Only pagh evaluates the grammar of newbies. [:-)]

> (pong 'oH *pagh*'e' - yImISchoHQo'!)

(The name is "pagh" - don't be confused!) [I had luckily read other posts
by pagh, so I wasn't! :-) ]

> janglaHchu' pagh.

pagh can answer clearly.

> > 2) How do you express events which take place over a period of
> > time/space?  For example:
> > a) For two years, I have suffered humiliation.
> > b) I controlled the shuttle for a thousand km.
>
> *appendix* yIlaD.

Read the appendix.

> pabvetlh much /qetbogh loD/ qelbogh mu'tlhegh.

It presents that grammar /the man which runs/ the sentence which is taken
into account.
[I'm not really following here.. perhaps it would help if I knew the
precise semantics of the slashes]

> cha'logh chorur: jIghojchoHtaHvIS *appendix* vIbuSHa'mo' <tlhIngan
> jIHbe'> jIjatlhlaHbe'.

You're like me twice [or "for a second time", "in another way", or "in two
ways"]: while I had begun to learn, I didn't concentrate on the appendix
(I'm not Klingon) I cannot speak [.."it"?]

I had a breeze through the appendix, and I still don't see anything which
suggests being able to expresss "period-based" expressions.  However,
perhaps the following would work:
cha' DISmeyvaD 'oy' vIbechpu'

> SKI: Look out! Another Canadian who let the dictionary ferment has
> arrived! qa-na-Da! qa-na-Da!

SKI? -- that's an unfamiliar TLA to me.
And, actually, the pages ARE looking a little yellowish .. giving it that
old, classic look to it. :-)

> ==
> Qov - pab 'utlh

Krov - grammar officer [?] :-)