tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 09 12:23:54 1998

RE: KLBC -- Glass eating!

>lab Michael:
>
> Greetings!
>
>   I live in a college dorm, and there is a posting up which has
> "I eat glass, it does not hurt me" in many different languages;
> unfortunately, I can't find a Klingon word for glass (I assume
> they would be able to discover the process of making glass...).
>
>    Here's how I've translated it:
>
> 	Dochmey jej vISoplaH, mu'oy'be'
> 	I am able to eat sharp things, they do not hurt me.

The original source (probably) of the posting in your dorm is the
"I Can Eat Glass" Website (http://hcs.harvard.edu/~igp/glass.html).
There, the Klingon offering is /HIvje' mep vISoplaH.  mu'oy'moHbe'./
No contributer is given, so I don't know where this translation came from.
The unknown writer used "drinking-glass plastic" for "glass".  I'm not
sure I like this.  Maybe /HIvje' Hap/ would be closer.  Also, /'oy'/
refers to the feeling of pain, while "does not hurt me" really seems to
be referring to physical harm.  I'd probably use /HIvje' Hap vISoplaH.
murIQmoHbe'/.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level