tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 05 21:05:49 1998

RE: KLBC Shakespears Sisters lyrics.

Zrajm jang pagh:
>>   You better hope and pray that you wake one day in your own world.
>>   {wa' jaj qo'lIjDaq bIvem; 'e' Datul 'ej 'e' Daqoy'.}
>
>Same comments as above about <'e' Datul 'ej Daqoy'>.
>
>> Perhaps there is a better/easier way to say "some time", "any
>> day" or "in the future"? Otherwise what I said about the previous
>> sentence pretty much applies here too.. (I think I am saying
>> something like "One day, you in your realm will wake, you hope
>> that and you beg (for) that."
>
>Oh, my. <wa' jaj> just does not work. Klingon does not really have a way to
>say "someday". The only general word for "in the future" is <tugh> - soon.
>Other than that, you probably need to use <leS> or <nem> to specify when the
>event is going to happen.

As it happens, {wa' jaj} *does* work.  The Klingon Way, page 177:

    wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH tlhIngan puqloD; jajvetlh loD nen moj.
    The son of a Klingon is a man the day he can first hold a blade.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level