tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 03 13:15:04 1998

Re: KLBC: -ghach

Note that some of these are not even recognizeable as nouns. As
an exercise, I'll try to use them in sentences.

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998 12:25:01 -0800 (PST) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> SuStel wrote:
>
> :     Still, since every single other example of a {-ghach}'d verb follows
> : this pattern, and we have quite a number of {-ghach} words in observable
> : usage [...]
>
> No, we do not "have quite a number of {-ghach} words in observable usage"
> -- at
> least, not by Okrand.  As has been mentioned, such nouns are indeed used
> frequently -- mainly by beginners -- and commonly appear on this mailing list,
> fan fiction, personal web pages, etc., but not in Okrand's materials.
>
> Consider:  Of the thirteen {-ghach} nouns provided so far by Okrand (out of a
> total vocabulary of ca. 3000+ items), five are fairly straitforward (at least
> in English):
>
>   lo'laHghach       value (TKD)

Easy. Hol lo'laHghach vIvuvbej.

>   lo'laHbe'ghach    worthlessness (TKD)

Easy. maghwI' tuHmoH maghwI' lo'laHbe'ghach.

>   naDHa'ghach       discommendation (TKD)

Easy. batlh naDHa'ghach SIQ wo'rIv.

>   naDqa'ghach       re-commendation (TKD)

Easy. naDqa'ghachDaj baj wo'rIv.

>   quvHa'ghach       dishonor (TKW)

Okrand used this one.

> Five examples given in his HolQeD 3.3 article are somewhat unusual, perhaps to
> be used for a specific rhetorical or stylistic effect:
>
>   tlhutlhtaHghach  "ongoing drinking"

qorDu'DajvaD qay'bej tlhutlhtaHghachDaj.

>   nobtaHghach      "ongoing giving"

mIpwI'pu' nobtaHghach poQ qoy'wI'pu'.

>   nobpu'ghach      "a given (a finished case of giving)"

qoy'wI'pu' SeyHa'moH mIpwI'pu' nobpu'ghach

>   quvmoHghach      "process of honoring"

quvmoHghachchaj luDubta' SuvwI'pu'vam.

>   belpu'ghach      "having been pleased"

Well, the English translation doesn't sound like a noun at all,
but I can stretch my brain around the Klingon and come up with:

maqochDaj be'nal SuqmeH SuvwI', quvHa''eghmoH SuvwI'. batlhHa'
Qu'vam ta' 'ej belmoHpu' be', 'ach DaH maqochDaj ghomDI' SuvwI',
chImmoHchu' belpu'ghachDaj.

> while three are incorrectly formed, "marked" in both languages:
>
>   *belghach        "pleasureness"
>   *nobghach        "givation, one-time donation"
>   *quvghach        "honoredness"

lI'be'.

> Okrand has used a grand total of just *one* of these (quvHa'ghach) in a
> sentence in context only one time:
>
>   qaStaHvIS wej puq poHmey vav puqloDpu' puqloDpu'chaj je quvHa'moH
>     vav quvHa'ghach
>   The dishonor of the father dishonors his sons and their sons for
>     three generations. TKW
>
> The other twelve -- nine really, if you discount the three "marked"
> examples of
> how *not* to use {-ghach} -- are merely words in a vocabulary list, not "in
> observable usage".
>
> Maltz (at least) tends to avoid them, and probably so should we.

maQochbe'.

> Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level