tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 28 21:13:45 1998

Re: Glottal Stops

>>Glottal stops, if used, usually begin or end syllables within words.
>>Appearing in the middle of words, glottal stops don't appear in the
>>middle of syllables, because the uttering of a glottal stop halts or
at
>>least interrupts the vocalization of syllables.
>
>The glottal stop is a consonant. klingon syllables are
>consonant-vowel-consonant (with exceptions for that last consonant).
The
>middle of a syllable is a vowel.  The glottal stop can't show up in the
>middle of a syllable.

I think we both conclude that the glottal stop doesn't appear in the
middle of syllables, though we seem to have taken different routes to
the same (or similar) destination.

>>Personally, I don't mind the merging of glottal stops in speech; but I
>>am opposed to incorporating this into print, ...
>
>WHO is merging glottal stops when writing?
>Merging glottal stops is explained in KGT.  Children do it.

I know. I've read the book. I have two copies of it. As I said in the
text cited, I am opposed to merging glottal stops in writing; and I
didn't say that I was in favor of them in speech either, merely that I
am not bothered by them.  I pay no mind to glob flies. :)

I was replying to the post,
/tlhIngan-Hol/current/0583.html
which spoke of the merging of glottal stops.

My two cents on this would be:  Do not merge glottal stops.

Dawut
[email protected]
[email protected]