tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 29 10:56:47 1998

Re: radan

|I was just watching "Elaan of Troyius."  When Spock discovers that Elaan's
|necklace is the source of strange energy readings, Kirk asks, "What kind of
|jewels are in this?" and Elaan responds, "They call them radans."
|
|To Klingons, they are known as {Dom}.
|
|Just in case this question hadn't been satisfactorily answered before.
|
|SuStel

Right.  Purely from the gloss in the TKD vocabulary - and not recognizing
the Trek context of the word - I'd always assumed for some reason that
"radan" was a bulk word for "raw dilithium crystal" like English "coal".
However the Okudas' _Star Trek Encyclopedia_ (1st ed. 1994) p. 269 lists:

    *radans*  Gemstones from planet Troyius. The leader of Troyius
    gave Elaan, the Dohlman of Elas, a necklace of radans as a wedding
    present in 2368.  Chemically, radans were raw dilithium crystals,
    and made Troyius a planet of great strategic significance. Elaan's
    necklace served as a source of emergency crystals for the Starship
    Enterprise when that ship was under attack by a Klingon vessel that
    ironically sought to guarantee a supply of radans from Troyius.
    ("Elaan of Troyius" [TOS]}

Voragh

Back to archive top level