tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 28 17:46:48 1998

Re: Glottal Stops

>Glottal stops, if used, usually begin or end syllables within words.
>Appearing in the middle of words, glottal stops don't appear in the
>middle of syllables, because the uttering of a glottal stop halts or at
>least interrupts the vocalization of syllables.

The glottal stop is a consonant. klingon syllables are
consonant-vowel-consonant (with exceptions for that last consonant).  The
middle of a syllable is a vowel.  The glottal stop can't show up in the
middle of a syllable.

>If viewed in terms of whole words, a double glottal stop seems a bit
>excessive, leading one to the desire to merge both glottal stops into
>one, as is done in common speech

[snip snip]

>Personally, I don't mind the merging of glottal stops in speech; but I
>am opposed to incorporating this into print, because I wouldn't want to
>go to the dictionary to look up an unfamiliar word that has had the
>double glottal stops and/or double consonants surgically removed.
>
>Klingon Ambassador,
>Dawut (David)

WHO is merging glottal stops when writing?
Merging glottal stops is explained in KGT.  Children do it.

DloraH
www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro
pa' tlhIngan yanmey tu'lu'
(last updated: 22 Jan 98)