tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 27 08:17:14 1998

Re: How big is the vocabulary?

ja' qelayn:
>3400? I thought I had all (most) of the words on my computer totalling
>just over 2100 words, where did these other words come from?
>Are they all constructs from speakers or are they official?

My carefully-maintained word list contains 2310 entries, taken from
TKD, KGT, and charghwI''s "new word list" on the web.  There are a
handful of semi-duplicates where TKD gives different definitions in
the two halves of the lexicon, or significant additional explanation
from the word list in KGT, etc.  I also have a personal addendum with
a few non-words, mostly names, but including some entries that are of
historical and/or humorous value.

A brief check of my sources yields the following breakdown:
 1501 from TKD
  186 from TKD's addendum
  604 from KGT
    7 from veS QonoS
   10 from the Star Trek: Klingon CD
    2 direct from Marc Okrand but not otherwise listed

Even though things like {targh tIq} and {qeylIS mInDu'} are made of
readily translatable parts, they are in my list because they have
specific "cultural" meanings.  I also include obvious constructions
like {yoHwI'} "brave one" when they're listed in an official lexicon.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level