tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 27 07:42:06 1998

Re: Mike's New Handle!

: From: [Voragh]
: >Of course, Vok {voq} - accused of murdering Pok's father - means "trust"!
: >And qelayn reminded off-list that Pok {poq} means "indigestion".  I wonder
: >if these were Okrand's jokes or Hilary Bader's (who wrote the script).
:
: Are these names actually given their tlhIngan Hol pronunciation somewhere?
: On KCD, the transliteration of the way they say "Vok" and "Pok" is {vaq} and
: {paq}.  "Mock" and "book" are pretty weird.
:
: SuStel

You're right. I hadn't considered how these names are pronounced, just how
they are spelled in the novelization.  The joke - if there is one - could
still be based on the spelling and not the correct (or even the actors')
pronunciation as a sort of sight gag.  Okrand has done this before.

Voragh

Back to archive top level