tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 26 16:22:16 1998

Re: English - thlIngan - german

Greetings, from the Worlds Worst Correspondant!

Yes, I am further behind than Qov! I am just now getting caught up,
and found SuStels' personal response to my blurted response (actually
[gasp!] sent during an on-going conversation)
This is from the time SuStel was helping the BG in Feb:

----------------------KLIP----------------------------
> Care to try again?
>
> SuStel
> Stardate 98188.3

YES

     No it did not make any sense.

{HISlaH.  Hu' nemtaH je.}
(Yes, I agree. Its been years, and not days.)

There, does that make more sense?

Now...what were we talking about?

     In spite of the time stamp (the computer battery is/was kaput),
it was very late. I completely mistranslated that.

     Qov wants us to memorize the vocabulary (over 3400 words, +500
phrases currently listed in my database, from canon sources). I am
trying, bits at a a time. One would think that Yes, and No were easy
enough to remember. I have gotten {HIjaH} and {HISlaH} confused
before. They pass through my Spellchecker. I haven't had the time to
write a grammer checker for tlhIngan Hol, yet. The same for confusing
{'ej} & {je}.

HIvqa veqlargh!

     I was shooting from the hip. I know better than to shoot
something off without a TKD nearby. Like now...
{"nuqneH,  vISaH'a' nuqjatlh? "}{{:-|
What, me worry? ((Lit: What do you want, did you ask that I should
worry?))This is my normal tag line.

    The origional quote is from Mad Magazines Alfred E. Neuman (yes, I
know this dates me, but old fogies have to come from somewhere). He
said this in response to the threat of nuclear war, a safe falling on
his head, etc...when it was very likely that he SHOULD worry, but that
it was probably too late. What the heck, life can be about having fun.
Irony can be humorous.
     I went over this with Qov, but she came up with something
altogether too far from the source, and I didn't want to overextend my
time with her. BG should be voluntary work, not a burden. Besides,
this isn't really a good grammatical study.

SuStel: Would {nuq, vISaH'a'?} be a better, and more literal
translation?. I'll ask you, because you were my origional BG, and I
should have had this out with you then.
     When I have a good translation of my own words (per many BG's
requests), and not someone elses writings, I WILL send "KLBC" in my
Subject line. The request for songs looks promising. THAT will be
taxing!

valwI'na' Qor'etlh' Yas
"Wizard of Washington, Officer Korrect"
{"nuqneH,  vISaH'a' nuqjatlh? "}{{:-)/*/