tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 21 13:05:57 1998

Re: My Handle...

At 15:39 98-03-19 -0800, Bozo wrote:
}My terran handle is Bozo the Really Sane...
}can anyone help with correct translations
}here's what i have so far...
}no zed's in tlhingan, so Bozo becomes boso

There is no "s" in Klingon, either.  You need to use {S}.

{boSo}

}i couldn't find sane, so here's my cringeifying attempt
}really healthy mind = yabpIv'a'

You must pay attention to the parts of speech.  {yab} is a noun and {pIv} is
a verb, so they cannot form a compound noun.  The noun suffix {-'a'} for
augmentation must be placed on a noun.  The same suffix {-'a'} placed on a
verb asks a question.  If *{yabpIv'a'} were to mean anything it would be
"mindisithealthy?"

}so .:
}
}boso yabpIv'a'

You're on the right track when you cast around for another word that means
thte same as the one you want.  You get better at it with experience and
knowledge of the vocabulary.  Look at the word {maw'}.

{maw'} - be crazy

Add {-be'} to negate the concept.

{maw'be'} - be not crazy, be sane

Add {-qu'} the intensifier for verbs.

{maw'be'qu'} - be really not crazy, be really sane
{maw'be'qu' boSo} - "Bozo is really sane"

Add {-bogh} to create a relative clause.

{mawbe'qu'bogh boSo} - "Boso who is really sane"

Also consider:
{maw'be'bejbogh boSo} - "Bozo who is really sane."

While {-qu'} intensifies the amount of the 'not insaneness', emphasizes that
Bozo is 'a lot sane,' {-bej} emphasizes how certain you are about him being
sane.

Read section 4.2.6.

maw'be'law' = he seems to be sane
maw'be'bej = he is undoubtedly sane

I don't know which meaning of "really" you meant.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level