tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 19 07:59:45 1998

Re: (cooperate)

ja' qeyloS:
> Now I have the same question regarding cooperate.
>   jIj
>   yeq
> What makes the distinction between the two words that seem to have the
> same meaning?

jang ghunchu'wI':
: _Klingon for the Galactic Traveler_, reveals a distinction:
: {yeq} means "cooperate", and {jIj} means "be cooperative".

In the discussion of the slang term {qang} "always agree with (someone),
always go along with (someone), always cooperate with (someone)" in KGT
p.159, we are given the following as a non-slang equivalent:

     reH jIj   "always be cooperative"

{jIj} also shows up as a morpheme in {yuQjIjDIvI'} and {yuQjIjQa'}, both
meaning "The United Federation of Planets" (the "Federation" {DIvI'} for
short).  Like {yeq} and {jIj}, one appears in the English-to-Klingon side of
the glossary, and the other in the Klingon-to-English.  {yeq} has never been
used in canon.

Voragh

Back to archive top level