tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 19 11:01:07 1998

ghoS vs. jaH

: I know how to use ghoS like
:    naDev ghoS
:    naDevvo' ghoS  or even  naDevvo' yIghoS
:    Come here..... go away...... GO AWAY!
: But how (in what contex) would I use jaH (go)?????
: Any context that includes direction or position would be (I think) ghoS
: i.e. proceed toward as in proceed toward here or away from here. But on
: jaH?????????
:
: Kalos/qeyloS

Here are the attestations of {ghoS}, {jaH} and the related verb {leng} in
Okrandian canon as well as a couple other sources of interest, such as the
as yet unauthenticated Star Trek: The Experience announcement (STX).  As you
can see, there's a certain amount of overlap and I share some of your
uncertainty.  As you can see from my entry on {ghoS}, Klingon does have a
fair number of alternatives to choose from if you want to speak more
precisely.  I'll leave the detailed discussion to the BGs:

ghoS  follow a course, proceed (cf. vegh), come toward, approach (cf. chol,
Duv, paw
      & tlhetlh), go to, go away from (cf. mej & tlheD) (v):

"There are a few verbs whose meanings include locative notions, such as
{ghoS} `approach, proceed.' The locative suffix [-Daq] need not be used on
nouns which are the objects of such verbs:
     Duj ghoStaH
      It is approaching the ship.
     yuQ wIghoStaH
      We are proceeding toward the planet.
If the locative suffix is used with such verbs, the resulting sentence is
somewhat redundant, but not out-and-out wrong:
     DujDaq ghoStaH
     It is approaching toward the ship." (TKD p.28)

 - HIghoS
    Come here! ("Approach me!") TKD
"A call to someone to approach the speaker." (MSN)

 - torgh HIghoS
    Torg, come here! TKD
 - naDev yIghoS
    Come here! TKD
 - naDevvo' yIghoS
    Go away! TKD
 - bIghHa'Daq yIghoS
    Go to jail! TKD

 - nughoStaH
    it is approaching us  TKD
 - yIghoStaH
    steady on course! maintain this course! TKD
"Both of the above sentences suggest a continuing activity." (TKD p.42)

 - ghoSchoH
    He is beginning to go (somewhere).  TKD
"The implication of the second example is that he or she was going either
nowhere or somewhere else sometime before the phrase was uttered. Note that
the translation of this suffix maybe English become or begin to." (TKD p.37)

 - maghoSchoHmoHneS'a'
    May we execute a course (to some place)? TKD
 - Duj ghoStaH nuq
    What is coming toward the ship? TKD
 - nughoStaH nuq
    What is coming toward us? TKD
 - He chu' yIghoS
    Follow a new course! (Clipped: He chu' ghoS) TKD
 - nughoS chaH
    [They approach (us)] CK
 - mughoS 'avwI' 'ar?
    How many guards are coming? CK
 - naDev ghoS
    Come here! PK
 - He chu' ghoS. DIvI' neHmaH
    New course. Federation neutral Zone. ST3
 - nImbuS wej maghoS. He yInab
    Plot course for Nimbus III.
    (lit. "We're going to Nimbus III. Plot a course!") ST5
 - nom yIghoSqu'!
    Maximum speed. ST5
 - 'entepray' yIghoS!
    Bear on Enterprise! ST5
 - cha'maH vagh vatlhvI' Hong. QIt yIghoS!
    Slow to one quarter impulse power. ST5
 - 'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'
    But Captain, that course will take us into the [Great] Barrier as well. ST5
 - HIghoS!
   [guards to Kirk, grabbing him in Okrona's transporter room] ST5
 - <nughoSbej>  (???)
    We've been betrayed!  ST6
    (lit. "They're approaching us!")

 - yIghoS
    [Move!] ST6
 - yIghoStaH
    [Keep moving!] ST6
[The guards on Rura Penthe shout these two phrases repeated to the slowly
moving column of newly arrived shackled prisoners.]

 - nuqDaq ghoS?
    What is your destination? ST6
 - qatlh pa' ghoS?
    What's she doing?
    ["Why is she [the ship] going there?"] ST6
 - loDnal HIghoS
    Husband, come here KGT
 - parmaqqay HIghoS
    parmaqqay, come here KGT
 - loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh
   retlhDaq 'oHtaH
    It waits... on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to unknown regions
    of the universe. (SkyBox DSN99)
 - Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey. ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI' maq.
    This yell... serves to warn the other dead that a Klingon warrior is
coming. S31
 - laS veghaS HIltonDaq Hov leng: yIjeSchu' qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH HIlton
yIghoS
    Come celebrate the grand opening of Star Trek: The Experience at the Las
Vegas
    Hilton. (STX Communique - Did Okrand write this?)
 - ghoS!
    Make it so! Proceed! STE
 - I turned to Pok at that moment. "Pok, HIghoS." (KCD novel p.79)

jaH  go (cf. yIt) (v):

 - pa'Daq yIjaH
    Go to the room! TKD
"the verb is {jaH} `go', so to makes the most sense as a translation of
{-Daq}." (TKD 27)]

 - pa'vo' yIjaH
    Leave the room!
    ("Go from the room!") TKD
 - jolpa'Daq yIjaH
    Go to the transport room! (Clipped: jolpa' yIjaH) TKD
 - teplIj yIwoH 'ej pa'lIjDaq yIjaH
    Pick up your baggage and go to your room. CK
 - naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'
    Can we get to the Great Hall from here? PK
 - jolpa' yIjaH. Qapla'!
    To the transport room. Success! ST3
 - may'Daq jaHDI' SuvwI' juppu'Daj lonbe'
    When a warrior goes to a battle, he does not abandon his friends. TKW
 - 'Iw bIQtIqDaq jIjaH
    I travel the river of blood. TKW
 - jIjaH
    I go. MSN

leng  roam, travel, rove (v):

 - 'Iw bIQtIqDaq bIlengjaj
    May you travel the river of blood! PK
 - loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh
   retlhDaq 'oHtaH
    It waits... on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to unknown regions
    of the universe.
 - HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH. vaj loghDaq
   lenglaHtaH Humanpu'
    space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration,
intrigue and
    enterprise that mark the continuation of the human adventure into
space... DSN99
 - juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
    During the (aggressive) expansion of the Klingon people from their
homeworld of
    Kronos into space... SP1
 - loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
    Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space. (STX -
Okrandian?)

Voragh

Back to archive top level