tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 17 11:50:02 1998

Re: tlhIngan Hol joq English

>Hello all-
>	Would it be better for me to type in tlhIngan or English?
>	If tlhIngan is better, what do I type as a greeting?
>	juplIj,
>		Michael  :-)

On this list you either use tlhIngan Hol or use any Hol to write about
tlhIngan Hol.
  As to greeting... don't.  Just start talking (typing) and get to the
point.  What is the purpose of a greeting?
  Some people use [nuqneH] in place of "hello"; typical for a human.  It's
not really how [nuqneH] is used.  You approach me, I say [nuqneH] (what do
you want?), you would then start talking, telling me what you want.  If
you're coming to me to tell me something, you're not going to say [nuqneH]
(what do you want?), you're the one that wants something.
  The only time I use "hello" is if the person doesn't see or hear me enter
the room and I wish to get their attention.  If they see me enter, there's
no need for a "hello".  We see your message on our screen, we are aware that
you are communication with us, ghoja' neH.

DloraH

Back to archive top level