tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 13 07:21:34 1998

Re: universal message -fwd-

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998 20:38:56 -0800 (PST) Andrew Saunders
<[email protected]> wrote:

You asked for a translation. I'll note that they dropped two
words from the first sentence.

> >A local ISP ran an ad claiming that their staff spoke a lot of
> >languages, but geek wasn't one of them. They listed Klingon as
> >one of those languages, so I wrote them. They asked if they
> >could run my message and their response in another ad.
> >
> >Their response was Klinglish gibberish which I rewrote and
> >offered to them. They accepted. Except for dropping {net maq}
> >from the end of my first sentence, they got my part right,
> >anyway.
> >
> >--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
> >Will,
> >
> >Here's what we're running - the ad is just about on the way to the
> >newspaper as we speak - it's a tiny ad so your we had to snip off your
> >signoff and name in Klingon, but your Earth name appears as noted -
> >
> >Thanks again!
> >
> >Chuck
> >
> >Klingon:
> >*C'ville Review*Daq tlhIngan Hol jatlh *Cornerstone*Daq vumbogh vay'.

Someone who works at Cornerstone speaks Klingon in the C'ville
Review.

> >vIHon.

I doubt it.

> >choyajchugh vaj HIjang!

If you understand me then answer me!

> >choyajbe'chugh vaj bInep 'ej bIHegh 'e' Daqotlh...

If you don't understand me then you lie and you deserve to die...

> >'ach tera'ngan chutmo', bIyIn 'e' vIchaw'nIS ...

But because of Terran law, I must permit you to live...

> >E-Mail from Will Martin, ITC at UVa
> >
> >Cornerstone Response:
> >pIQorgh, ghotwI' QaQ, 'ach yItuv! wej tlhIngan
> >Hol yajchu' mughwI'ma'.

We will take care of you, my good man, but be patient! Our
translator [a person] does not yet perfectly understand
the Klingon language.