tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 11 16:45:05 1998

Re: qacheghlu'

ja' beHwI"av
>You wrote:
>
>>Hi David,

bImuj.  mu'meyvam vIghItlhpu'be'.  Dochvam Damaqmo' jIbergh.

No, I didn't.  Anytime someone puts words in my mouth I'm irritated, even
if they're as innocuous as these.

>>qayajlaHbe'.
>	qajachmeH! (c;

qayajlaHbe'taH.

>>bIHeghHa'ta''a'?  Huj.
>
>	HIja'. batlh jISuvtaH. meQta' qabwI'.
>	'engmey tlhIch jorchoH qul.
>	pIj mujoy'ta'.
>
>	Yes. Honorably I fought. My face burned.
>	Fire exploded into clouds of smoke. (Sure this a wrong way to
>use {-choH}. And is {'engmey tlhIch} correct?)
>	I was tortured often.

Your use of {-choH} is grammatical, but it's probably not the right way to
express the meaning you have in mind.  I would translate your sentence as
"clouds' smoke; fire began to explode."  You've got {tlhIch 'engmey} in the
wrong order -- "clouds of smoke" has "smoke" as the possessor, which comes
first in a noun-noun construction.  But you also have it just dangling out
in front of the sentence with no grammatical glue to tie it into the rest
of the idea.  {jor} just means "explode, blow up, go kaboom".  The phrase
"explode into smoke" implies an explosion and a transformation, so you'll
probably have to use more than one sentence to get the idea across.  How
does {jor qul; pay' tlhIch moj} "fire exploded; it suddenly became smoke"
sound?

>	HeghtaHHa'ghachwI' jIH (c;
>(I'm undead.)

The "rover" {-Ha'} always immediately follows the verb, before any other
suffixes.  {-ghach} and {-wI'} are both Type 9 verb suffixes, so unless
you meant to say something like "I am my ongoing undying" with the Type 4
noun suffix {-wI'}, they both can't appear on the same verb.  I think you
just meant {HeghHa'wI'} "one who mis-dies/un-dies", or maybe {HeghHa'pu'wI'}
"one who has mis-died/un-died".

>>yIqeqqa'.
>	HIja'!

As an acceptance of a command, you should say {lu'} or {luq} "okay, I will."
{HIja'} and {HISlaH} are affirmative answers to a yes-or-no question.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level