tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 08 23:04:54 1998

Re: [KLBC]: Sir!

At 12:34 98-03-08 -0800, beHwI"av wrote:

}Hello Qov,
}
}>}5.chejaD ghewpu'
}>}5.You (pl) cooties throw me around.
}>
}>I should have choosen my words more carefully.  I hope I haven't corrupted
}>the whole exercise by telling you to have subjects and objects.  In some
}>cases the subjects and objects have to be pronouns.  This one is wrong in
}>any case:  {che-} is {you(pl.)-us}.  "You (pl.) throw me around" would be
}>{tujaD}.
}
}	The English translation was wrong, because I thought I
}couldn't have to may *|me in there.

I don't understand the above sentence.

}>}8.bompu' bobom tera'nganpu'
}>}8.You (pl) Terrans chant chants.
}>
}>And again the noun tacked in because I accidentally gave a confusing command.
}>Please don't use this form in the second person without at least using a
}>comma, and try to avoid it altogether in the first person.
}
}	Give me a rundown on what you mean with first person, the
}prefixes that denote "I" are the first person. Right?

The first person is I, me, we, us: the speaker or a group including the speaker.

The second person is you: the addressee or a group including the addressee.

The third person is he. she, him, her, it, them: a third party, someone(s)
or something(s) other than the speaker and addressee.

}>}9.tlhInganpu' DIqum tlhIngan wo'
}>}9.The Klingon Empire governs Klingons.
}>
}>This should be {tlhInganpu' qum tlhIngan wo'}
}>Both subject and object are singular third person nouns.
}
}	I'll submit to the first, but {tlhInganpu'} is clearly plural.
}What would be the sense in putting it under the Type 2 noun suffixes,
}plurals, otherwise?

HIvqa' veqlargh.  Yes, it is plural.  I erred.  But that does not change the
prefix.

}>You perhaps meant "We advise Klingons" just {tlhInganpu' DIqum} and then got
}>confused in translating it because Qov said you needed a subject.  *cringe*
}
}	No, I mean; "We, the Klingon Empire, govern them, the
}Klingons." I do see that {tlhIngan wo'} is third person singular.

If that's what you meant, I see why you did it, but it's not commonly
accepted. Avoid controversial usage until you have mastered known territory.

}>Use {qa-} {cho-} {ju-} {pI-} and {nI-}.  Don't use nouns for the subjects
}>and objects if they are I/me, we/us, or you.
}>
}>I think from the way you translated most of those sentences that you
}>understand why it is strange to have nouns there, but reassure me that you
}>do understand.
}
}	I understand, I was just following orders. (Good excuse, eh!)
}
}>Grin.  Just noticed the subject line.  bIlobqangchu'mo' jIbel. ghojwI'
}>QaQvaD 'oy'naQ vIlo'nISbe'.
}
}1. qapoj
}2. De'vaD choyu'
}3. Qo'noSvo' juquch
}4. DujwIjDaq pIrI'
}5. nIpe' tajvam
}
}1. I analize you.
}2. You interrogate me for information.
}3. You kidnap us from Kronos.
}4. We hail you in your ship.
}5. These knives cut you.

majQa'.  {nIpe' tajvam} is a good example.  Someone who didn't understand
prefixes might think it means "This knife cuts you."  But it can only mean
"These knives cut you," because of the prefix.

Your next assignment: reread chapter three carefully and then write ten
sentences that all together use at least two noun suffixes from each of
types 1-4, and all of the type 5 noun suffixes.  Yes, even {-'e'}.  Use it
the way it is described in chapter 3.  Again, translate your sentences.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level