tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 04 10:39:32 1998

Re: English - thlIngan - german

Wenn Sie einzige Deutsch spreche, hier sprech und Klingonishe lern!
Deutsche Hol neH Dajatlhchugh, naDev yIjatlh 'ej tlhIngan Hol yIghoj!
If you speak only German, speak it here and learn Klingon!

charghwI' wrote:

>According to Qov:
>..
>> jIH chotIchbe'bej. naDev German Hol tuchlu' 'e' vIpay. ngochvam
>> vIpar. naDev tlhIngan Hol wIlo' qoj tlhIngan Hol wIqel 'ej
>> wIqelmeH jIHvaD ram Hol wIlo'bogh.
>>
>> In fact, I wish to propose a change to the list policy. I propose
>> that this list be for discussion in tlhIngan Hol, or of tlhIngan
>> Hol *in any language*, with the request that those posting in
>> languages other than Klingon or English provide a Klingon or
>> English translation or summary, if they can.
>
> I can support this policy, so long as posters recognize that
> most people on this list speak Klingon and English. If you
> expect people to read what you've written, choosing some other
> language restricts your audience.

Any choice of language restricts the audience.  And I think anyone
who can read what you have written would use English, knowing that
the BGs all speak it.  Remember your recent realization that ability
to understand Klingon does not imply adulthood?  Soon I hope to
discover that it doesn't imply ability to understand English, either.

> We might come up with a KLBC-like header for the Subject so
> people could choose to skip messages not using English as the
> other langauge than Klingon.

Or simply use the language of the subject header.

> Just remember that if you use Klingon and English, more people
> will understand you and you'll get responses from a larger pool.

I wouldn't want or expect the people who can read this posting to
suddenly stop posting in English.  The purpose of this is to ADD the
people who can't participate in English.  We should definitely accept
postings in every language in which TKD is published.

wa' ghojwI' poH poQ neH.  jatlhchu'DI' edy HovqIj je, Portuguese
HolvaD Deutsch HolvaD janglaH chaH.

>> I don't speak German.
>
> Note, for example that our BG does not speak German, so if you
> post in German, you can't get a response from the BG

Ich nicht spreche Deutsch abur ich habe ein Worterbuch 'ej vIlo'qang.
:) muqaD.

Deutsch Hol jatlhwI'vaD KLBC rur mu'tlheghqoqvetlh, qar'a'?
chu'wI'pu'vaD boQlaH Deutsch Hol jatlhwI'.  ghaytan Deutsch KLBC
vIHevDI' HovqIj vIrI'.  ghojlaH Hoch.

naDev nov Hol jatlhwI'pu' lutu'lu'chugh ghaytan pIj tlhIngan Hol
wIlo'choH.  'ej mu'mey'e' laD neHbe'bogh vay' laDnISbe'bej.

SKI: Qov wants everyone who can read any version of the Klingon
Dictionary to be able to post here, and will find a way to mark
German KLBCs.  In one generation of learners we will have native
German and Portuguese Klingon speakers to do it.

- Qov

Back to archive top level