tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 03 00:00:39 1998

Re: Introduction

At 19:21 98-03-02 -0800, Gilad wrote:
}Greetings Noble Warriors
}I am new to klindom and would like some commentary on the name I have
}chosen for myself.  It is pronounced "Gih-laad" and I spell it "Gilad".
}It is actually my attempt at deriving a name from the phrase "Good Lad".
}I need to know how to spell it properly, if it is actually a Klingon
}word or name, and if so, is it appropriate as an adjective.

Two ways to do this.

One is to go for the closest phonetic match, possibly {ghIlaD}. I'm assuming
the h in your spelling implies an open vowel, and not an h sound.

The other is to go for a translation, {loD QaQ} - good man.

I'd be tempted to make it Qa'loD, because {QaQ loD} means "the man is good"
yet the sound is similar so you preserve both meaning and sound.

Qa' is an animal, a fairly fierce one, possibly a raptor of some kind.
loD is "man/male"
ghI doesn't mean anything, but {ghIt} is a flat open hand or the blade of an axe
laD is the verb "read"

Up to you.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian