tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 02 08:06:50 1998

Re: ram Hurgh

: Speaking about 'walking the fields'would it be acceptable to say
:   *Dat jIghoS*  I go everywhere, or, *Dat jIyIt*  I walk everywhere
: to convey an idea of wandering around with no definate purpose.
: Or does it mean, for example, 'I go to the shop, then to the hardware
: store, then back home'
:
: qelayn

Good question. I'm not sure tlhIngan Hol has a word for "aimless wandering,"
"take a stroll," etc.  Klingons seem highly goal-oriented.  However, you
might also consider {vogh} "someplace" and {leng} "roam, travel, rove".
Here are some extracts from my AKD showing how these words have been used in
canon:

{Dat}  everywhere ["It is worth noting at this point that the concepts
expressed by the English adverbs here, there, and everywhere are expressed
by nouns in Klingon: {naDev} hereabouts, {pa'} thereabouts, {Dat}
everywhere. These words may perhaps be translated more literally as "area
around here," "area over there," and "all places," respectively. Unlike
other nouns, these three words are never followed by the locative suffix
[-Daq]." (TKD 27)] (cf. vogh "somewhere")
 - qatlh Dat DI tu'lu' tlhIngan?
   Why is there rubble everywhere, Klingon? CK
 - qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb
nganpu' buQpu'
   may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH. nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam
   this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the
menacing profiles
   of their battlecruisers. SP1

{leng}  roam, travel, rove (cf. ghoS, jaH, vegh, qugh & yIt; vt. is lup)
 - 'Iw bIQtIqDaq bIlengjaj
   May you travel the river of blood! PK
 - loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh
retlhDaq 'oHtaH
   It waits... on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to unknown
regions of the universe.
 - HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH. vaj
loghDaq lenglaHtaH          Humanpu'
   space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration,
intrigue and enterprise
   that mark the continuation of the human adventure into space... DS99
 - juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
   During the (aggressive) expansion of the Klingon people from their
homeworld of Kronos
   into space... SP1
 - loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
   Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space. (ST:Exp)
   [unauthenticated: did Okrand write this?]

{vogh}  somewhere, someplace ["It is worth noting at this point that the
concepts expressed by the English adverbs here, there, and everywhere are
expressed by nouns in Klingon: {naDev} hereabouts, {pa'} thereabouts, {Dat}
everywhere. These words may perhaps be translated more literally as "area
around here," "area over there," and "all places," respectively. Unlike
other nouns, these three words are never followed by the locative suffix
[-Daq]." (TKD 27) N.B. There is a difference of opinion on whether {vogh}
takes {-Daq}: "... it takes {-Daq}. If it were like the others he'd have
said, since he was presenting a list of exceptions." (~mark) "Since TKD is
very clear that there are three nouns which do this, and here they are,
{vogh} must take -Daq. It does seem like one of these nouns, but so far we
have no way to say that it is." (SuStel) "I would tend to use {vogh} like
{Dat}, {naDev} and {pa'}. It seems different from {logh} which describes an
environment as much as a location. The environment has a location, like
forest, but if you are referring to the location of that environment, you
use {-Daq} in most settings. vogh, on the other hand, has no characteristic
except location (or lack of it)." (charghwI')] (cf. Dat "everywhere")
 - vogh vISuch vIneH
   I want to visit someplace. CK

{yIt}  walk ["There are a few verbs whose meanings include locative notions,
such as {ghoS} `approach, proceed'. The locative suffix [-Daq] need not be
used on nouns which are the objects of such verbs... If the locative suffix
is used with such verbs, the resulting sentence is somewhat redundant, but
not out-and-out wrong." (TKD 28)] (cf. ghoS, jaH & leng)
 - tugh yIyIt
   [Walk fast(er)!] ST6
 - pa' jIyIt'a'
   Can I walk there? CK
 - poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
   The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. S9

Voragh

Back to archive top level