tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 29 21:30:55 1998

Re: suffixes in comparative sentences

ja' "Anthony Appleyard" <[email protected]>:
>  My ship is obviously bigger than Maltz's = DujwIj tIn law' matlh Duj tIn
>puS, + -ba'?????
>  This translates literally as "ship-my's big[ness] is_many, Maltz's ship's
>big[ness] is_few", but with non-standard word order. Surely there must be SOME
>proper place to put any mood-altering suffixes that it may need?

What is a "mood-altering suffix"?  I'm going to assume you mean a Type 6
"qualification" verb suffix.  Such a suffix certainly doesn't go on any
of the words in the {law'/puS} formula; it's a rigid formula that doesn't
permit any such tinkering.

*I* would do it like this:  DujwIj tIn law' matlh Duj tIn puS net tu'ba'.

>  Likewise "the ship which is bigger than Maltz's" = {Duj tIn law' matlh Duj
>tIn puS} + a homeless -'e' and -bogh. Or will "the ship which is bigger than
>Maltz's" become a hangar-mate of "the ship in which I fled" as a persistent
>subject of queries coming back all guns firing when we thought it has been
>mothballed away for a good long time?

Tell me something, Anthony.  Why do you care about this particular query?
What is it you're trying to communicate?  I am confident that there's no
need to try to use grammar we don't know.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level