tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 24 06:27:25 1998

suffixes in comparative sentences

  In my absence, has a solution to this query been worked out?:-
  In a sentence with a verb, mood-altering sufixes go on the verb.
  In a sentence with no verb, mood-altering sufixes go on the subject pronoun.
  But where do mood-altering suffixes go in comparative sentences?

  He undoubtedly writes = ghItlhbej
  This is obviously a fault [said the miners] = Seq 'oHba' vay'vam 'e'
  My ship is obviously bigger than Maltz's = DujwIj tIn law' matlh Duj tIn
puS, + -ba'?????
  This translates literally as "ship-my's big[ness] is_many, Maltz's ship's
big[ness] is_few", but with non-standard word order. Surely there must be SOME
proper place to put any mood-altering suffixes that it may need?
  Likewise "the ship which is bigger than Maltz's" = {Duj tIn law' matlh Duj
tIn puS} + a homeless -'e' and -bogh. Or will "the ship which is bigger than
Maltz's" become a hangar-mate of "the ship in which I fled" as a persistent
subject of queries coming back all guns firing when we thought it has been
mothballed away for a good long time?

Back to archive top level