tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 25 15:13:42 1998

KLBC - pach puqloD

-- KLBC - pach puqloD

'oy'naQ vItIvpu' 'ach mu' {'e'} vIlo'laH 'e' vIghojnIS.  HIQaH!

tlhIngan Hol mu'tlheghmeyvam vImughta'.  bIH vImughchu'ta''a'?

> <verb>ta'}, and no {... 'e' <verb>lI'}.  Remember this.  rut qawmoHmeH
> lI' 'oy'naQ 'e' vItu'.  chaq ngervam vIDajqa'. :)
I find that a painstick is useful.  Perhaps I will resume testing this
theory.

> wrote the Klingon for "he needs to cut it."   Think about it.
"pe'nIS." (snicker)

> qaS.  yIyep 'ej yIbuS.
It happens.  Be careful and concentrate on it.

> nIbej po'wI'pu'.  po'wI' chu' luboQqangbej jatlhwI'.
The experts watch you.  The speakers are no doubt willing to assist a
new expert.

This should be interesting, an attempted sentence using {-bogh}.  Just
for fun, I'm trying to include three words begining with gh, as
suggested to someone else recently:

ghorgh ghem nIHpu'bogh ghup Qov.  >:)

tlhIngan QoQ vIDajqu'.  chay' tera'ngan Qoq rur?  qech vIghaj:

Notes in Earth (Western) music are based on numeric ratios, eight notes
spread between the twelve tones of the chromatic scale:
1/1 = Do
16/15 = Do (sharp) or Re (flat)
9/8 = Re
6/5 = Mi (minor)
5/4 = Mi (major)
4/3 = Fa
7/5 = Fa (augmented) or Sol (diminished)
3/2 = Sol
8/5 = La (minor)
5/3 = La (major)
9/5 = Ti (minor)
15/8 = Ti (major)
2/1 = Do

It makes sense to me that Klingons would have also discovered the
chromatic scale (I'll give my arguments only if this posting sparks a
general debate, or if anyone is interested).  So, they would spread the
notes of the nonatonic scale in much the same way:
1/1 = yu
16/15 = bIm
9/8 = bIm
6/5 = 'egh
5/4 = loS
4/3 = loS
7/5 = vagh
3/2 = jav
8/5 = jav
5/3 = Soch
9/5 = chorgh
15/8 = chorgh
2/1 = yu

A Klingon musical scale might be something like:
C,D,Eb,F,F#,G#,A,B,C
C,D,Eb,F,F#,G,A,Bb,C
C,Db,Eb,E,F#,G,A,Bb,C
C,Db,Eb,E,F#,G#,A,B,C

F# (vagh?) the tritone, is present in all these scales.  Although Humans
generally find this interval quite objectionable, I think that Klingons
would like it for the tension it creates in music.

qechvam buStaH'a'?  'oH buSqang'a'!

-- Tuv'el, pach puqloD

Back to archive top level