tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 22 12:48:13 1998

Re: KLBC - pach puqloD

: >> I refuse to be "perfectly new" (though I considered it) because I don't
: >> like chu'chu' as a verb construction.
:
: > No?  Because of the repetition or the meaning?  {-chu'} doesn't have
: > to imply perfect in a good way.  I often translate it as "utter."
: > {chu'chu'wI'} is the term I usually use to describe an utter newbie.
: > The stuttering repetition adds to the image for me.  But {chu'ba'} is
: > fine, if you prefer it.
:
: Not because of the meaning or the repetition, but because of the sound:
: [chu'chu' tren]  >:)

Any objections to *{chu'wI'na'}?  The noun suffix {-na'} is sometimes a good
alternative to the verb suffix {-chu'}.  Examples from canon:

    Dujna'  "a definite vessel, undoubtedly a vessel" (TKD)
    DevwI'na'  "a true leader, a definitely unquestioned leader" (PK)
    qorDu' lurDechmeyna'  "strong family traditions" (S13)
    chuqna'  "effective range" (S14)
    toQDujna' rurchu'!  "It [BoP ornament] looks so REAL!" (Hallmark)
    HoSna'  "real power" (TKW)

Here are just a few non-canonical examples that have appeared on this List:

    *ghojwI'na'  "serious student" (Qov)
    *HarwI'na'   "true believer"
    *toy'wI'na'  *tokhe straav'* (?)

... and my favorite:

    *yInna' yISuq!  "Get a life!" (ghunchu'wI')

*{chu'wI'} "novice, newbie, newcomer" is a double entendre in Klingon, for
{chu'wI'} is also the term for a "trigger".  Newbies' observations and
questions often inspire or "trigger" as it were interesting discussions here
on the List.  Extending the imagery even further, The Klingon Way tells us
that words - specifically curses - can be "fired" in Klingon:

    pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach  "Curse well!"

"The commonly heard sendoff 'Curse well!'--roughly comparable in usage to
the Federation Standard 'Good luck!'--literally means, 'Shoot curses
forcefully!' Curses are considered a weapon of a sort which must be
propelled to their targets." (TKW p.148)

Voragh

Back to archive top level