tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 15 17:43:24 1998

Re: SIS

From: [email protected] <[email protected]>

> >"It rains while the week which preceeds everything happens and
> >it rains repeatedly," or less likely, "It rains while everything
> >which is preceeded by the week happens and it rains again."
>
> >I see tereS using {nung} as a transitive verb with {Hogh} as
> >subject and {Hoch} as object. {Hoch nungbogh Hogh} then becomes
> >a relative clause. It does sound like tereS likely didn't intend
> >this message to mean what it appears to mean, but I would not
> >relate the error to anything I'd call a compound noun.
>
>Oops, you're right.  I didn't even see this possible interpretation until
you
>mentioned it.  What I meant to say was "during all of last week".
{nungbogh}
>was supposed to just mean "last".  Maybe I could use your coined word
>{vebHa'} instead.  The other problem, though, is that I now have doubts
that
>{Hoch} is the appropriate word with {Hogh}.  {Hoch Hogh} I now think should
>be understood as "every week".  "All week" I now think should be {Hogh
naQ}.
>(Of course, now I have the problem of how to apply both {vebHa'} and {naQ}
>to one noun!)

My own analysis, presented some time ago, suggests that the correct way to
say "all of last week" is {Hogh vebHa' Hoch}.  Just as {nIn Hoch} means "all
of the fuel" and not "every fuel," {Hogh Hoch} means "all of the week," and
not "each week."

The same goes with "all of the Twenty-third Century."

SuStel
Stardate 98455.8

Back to archive top level