tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 15 09:16:54 1998

Re: KLBC

chaq SanuQchoHlI'. Maybe it is just because I'm going away for
three weeks that I feel compelled to write so much today. I feel
apologetic about it all the same...

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:37:24 -0700 (PDT) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> : I'm not sure if these are valid translations for the following words,
> : but it's what I meant.
>
> Just a couple of quick vocabulary notes (I'll leave the grammar for Qov or
> pagh):
>
> : poHHom = moment

Recognize that this means "less signficant period of time". The
{-Hom} likely relates to its importance as much as it's length.
It could mean either. We'd really need context to figure this
out.

> Consider also {lup} "second" or {tup} "minute" -- though *{poHHom} isn't
> bad.  *{poHHom machqu'} might be more accurate, if less poetic.

Make that {poHHom ngaj}. A period of time does not normally have
physical length as a spacial measurement. It has duration. The
moment is short in duration, not small, and given that we have
the word {ngaj} to mean "be short (in duration)", and given that
in this song, the moment has quite a bit of significance, you
might call it {poH'a' ngaj} or just plain {poH ngaj}. The {-Hom}
really doesn't look appropriate, since it is a life or death
moment.

> : poHwI' = clock/timer
>
> A "chronometer" is {tlhaq}, as in {tlhaqwIj chu'Ha'lu'pu'} "My chronometer
> has stopped" (TKD App. of Useful Phrases).  *{poHwI'} is a "timer", which to
> me sounds like a stop watch, or even a count-down detonator (which wouldn't
> be bad imagery for a Klingon poem, come to think of it).

Well, the stopwatch function of my tlhIngan tlhaq, which is a
Timex for which Okrand apparently labeled the buttons and
readouts, is called {togh poH}. The count-down function is
merely called {tlhaq}. The alarm is {ghum}, of course and since
it can measure two time zones, the second one is labeled {cha'}.

The mode button is named {wIv}. The "set" button is named
{cher}. The start/stop button is labeled {chu'/mev}. The
remaining button which does different things in different modes
is labeled {lIS}.

The AM/PM indicater is labeled {po} and {pov}.

Just in case you were interested...

> : - tuv'el pach puqloD
>
> Voragh

charghwI'