tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 15 09:29:04 1998

Re: SIS

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:41:46 -0700 (PDT) [email protected] wrote:

> In a message dated 98-06-15 09:22:46 EDT, charghwI' wrote:
>  >"It rains while the week which preceeds everything happens and
>  >it rains repeatedly," or less likely, "It rains while everything
>  >which is preceeded by the week happens and it rains again."
>
>  >I see tereS using {nung} as a transitive verb with {Hogh} as
>  >subject and {Hoch} as object. {Hoch nungbogh Hogh} then becomes
>  >a relative clause. It does sound like tereS likely didn't intend
>  >this message to mean what it appears to mean, but I would not
>  >relate the error to anything I'd call a compound noun.
>
> Oops, you're right.  I didn't even see this possible interpretation until you
> mentioned it.  What I meant to say was "during all of last week".  {nungbogh}
> was supposed to just mean "last".  Maybe I could use your coined word
> {vebHa'} instead.  The other problem, though, is that I now have doubts that
> {Hoch} is the appropriate word with {Hogh}.  {Hoch Hogh} I now think should
> be understood as "every week".  "All week" I now think should be {Hogh naQ}.
> (Of course, now I have the problem of how to apply both {vebHa'} and {naQ}
> to one noun!)

qaStaHvIS munungbogh Hogh naQ SIS.

{{:)>

Yes, I'm messing with your mind. It just struck me that in a
language which lacks tense, a way of describing the previous
week is to say that the week preceeds "me", since the me, which
is talking or writing, is doing so "now". So, the week preceeds
me.

At least you can grin at the idea before you start blasting it...

{DaH} is an adverbial and not a noun, but {DaHjaj} is a noun, so
perhaps:

qaStaHvIS DaHjaj nungbogh Hogh naQ SIS.

And if you are willing to stretch things a bit to kill the
ambiguity (is {DaHjaj} a direct object or a time stamp?), then:

qaStaHvIS DaHjaj lunungbogh Hogh naQ jajmey SIS.

Or:

SochHu' SISchoH 'ej wej mev.

> -- ter'eS

charghwI'