tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 12 10:26:22 1998

Relative clauses

ghunchu'wI' gave excellent examples of splitting each of these
into two sentences. I definitely think this is valid and for
many of these, the only reasonable approach. I'll try to use
relative clauses here where possible.

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:14:56 -0700 (PDT) [email protected]
wrote:

> Although some of you are going to say that this subject has been adequately
> covered before, I request clarification.
>
> I want to know how Klingon covers relative clauses, which is still troublesome
> to me.  I have included several examples to gain further insight from you, the
> experts.
>
> I know why the serpent worms are in the sauce.

ghevI'Daq qagh lanmoHlu'bogh meq'e' vIyaj.

Thanks. That was fun. Of course, I'm now slightly tilted in my
chair...

> I know what the restaurant normally serves.

Qe' HIDjolev motlh vIqaw.

I think this is better than the more literal:

roD Soj'e' jabbogh Qe' vIngu'laH.

I like it better mostly because it is less ambiguous, since you
can't tell whether this means, "I can identify the food which
the restaurant usually serves," or "I can usually identify the
food which the restaurant serves." One might argue that these
meanings are similar in an accidental way, but the earlier
version simply works better for me.

> I see how the cook prepares the dumplings.

vutwI' chab vutmeH mIW vIbej.

This one contains another accidentally identical ambiguity.
There really is no difference between the cook's method for
cooking dumplings and the method for cooking the cook's
dumplings.

> I told the warriors how many prisoners to kill.

This is a difficult one because Okrand has not addressed the
"how many" issue very thoroughly. He still won't give us
{'arlogh} or an equivalent as a question word. I'll make a
couple stabs at it:

SuvwI'pu'vaD qama'pu' HoHmeH mI' vIwuqta'.

qama'pu' mI''e' luHoHnISbogh SuvwI'pu' vIwuqta'.

This only works if you interpret {qama'pu' mI'} to be "number of
prisoners". I have accomplished deciding upon the number of
prisoners the soldiers must kill. You may argue about the
difference between deciding upon something (which might not be
revealed) and telling the soldiers the number, but this gets
into really ugly stuff about verbs of speech I'd just as soon
not dig into. I don't see it as productive and I do see it as
confusing. If this is important, then:

SuvwI'pu'vaD qama'pu' mI''e' luHoHnISbogh SuvwI'pu' vI'angta'.

I think it works, but I don't like it. I think ghunchu'wI's
method works better here.

> The warriors don't go to the places where we found the prisoners.

As I said in the other message, this really doesn't work as a
relative clause because the relative clause would be: "to the
places where we found the prisoners" or:

*DaqDaq qama'pu' DItu'bogh*

But we don't want the prisoners to be the head noun. We want the
places to be the head noun. Klingon doesn't let us do that. The
head noun MUST be either the subject or direct object of the
verb wtih {-bogh}. This leaves us to massively simplify this by
breaking it into two sentences, as I did in the other message.

> Maybe I can clear this up yet and not have to ask again.  Please include your
> own sentences if you think they can help me.

The thing to keep in mind is that Klingon has no relative
pronouns. In English, we use relative pronouns that also happen
to be question words in almost every instance of a relative
clause. Klingon NEVER uses a relative pronoun. Instead, it
accomplishes the task of a relative clause through the use of a
head noun paired with a verb with {-bogh}. There must always be
an explicit head noun, and that head noun must always be either
the subject or object of the verb with {-bogh}. There is no
other valid relative clause construction.

For anything that cannot be expressed by this construction, you
need to go to some other grammatical construction in Klingon,
like a purpose clause in some instances, or simply breaking the
one English sentence into two grammatically independent sentences
in Klingon. Often the equivalent of a head noun in one sentence
is represented by an explicit noun with {-vam} in the second
sentence. While the sentences remain syntactically independent,
this symantically links them.

Does this help?

> peHruS

charghwI'