tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 09 06:32:40 1998

Re: Online Lexicon of Linguistic Terminology

You just reminded me to try looking up "infinitive" in my
Concise Oxford Dictionary. I know it is not a linguistic
authority source, but worth checking out:

"(Verb-form) that expresses verbal notion without predicating it
of any subject (e.g. ask, to ask)."

Technically, this does allow such a verb to take an object, as
in "to ask a question", so the example in Klingon that I
objected to is allowable in English, but I have not seen any
evidence that this carries over into Klingon. I suspect that
the {-meH} equivalent to an infinitive can refer neither to a
subject nor an object.

Also note that Holtej's repeated reference to infinitives not
having reference to tense seems odd, since I would think that
"to have given" was an infinitive form. I'm sure there is
simply something that I don't understand.

charghwI'

According to Holtej:

> > I've found a useful online glossary of linguistic terms.  It will no doubt
> > help some of us here to understand the discussions when they get too
> > technical for the layman.  The BGs may want to bookmark this.
> >
> > http://helpdesk.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/~rustless/ling/
>
> Wow.  I've just had a look.  This will undoubtedly be useful for *me*, but I
> think it's not general enough to be of great use here.  For instance, there
> are tons of entries on ideas from Chomskian syntax, but no general entries
> on "verbs."
>
> The Summer Institute of Linguistics maintains a more general glossary of
> linguistic terms.  http://gopher.sil.org/glossary/
>
> > Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej.
> >
> > Voragh
>
> --Holtej