tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 09 06:23:23 1998

Re: Schoolbook

According to [email protected]:

> In a message dated 98-06-09 00:49:04 EDT, ghunchu'wI' writes:
>
> << I also think we've had clarification that {-Daq} applies *only* to
>  physical location, and being "in" a house or clan probably doesn't
>  qualify. >>
>
> Then, this means we cannot XDaq jIqIm or XDaq jIjeS.  Is that not right?
> Unless we are paying attention -Daq a place or participating -Daq a physical
> location.  This unresolves some claims.
>
> peHruS

Yes. For these, when not speaking of a physical location,
{-vaD} is more appropriate. In English, I think this is similar
to the difference between "Give the ball to me," and "Give the
ball at me." You might logically conclude that the latter is
successfully expressive of the concept you wanted done, but
that is simply not how it is said in this language.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level