tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 06 14:20:30 1998

Re: KLBC: Q on {-meH}

charghwI' writes:
> Terrence Donnelly wrote:
[..]
>> We seem agreed that the {-meH} verb phrase is impersonal.  I can see
>> why charghwI' adds {-lu'}, but I don't agree it is needed.
>>
>Then we definitely disagree. I believe that the verb with
>{-meH} can either be used with no prefix, no subject and no
>object, where it is treated as an infinitive by Okrand in
>several examples, or it can have a subject and/or object and it
>must have an appropriate prefix, or {-lu'}.

Actually, regarding this second form (where the {-meH} verb is a complete
verb phrase), I've always thought it should be treated as fully verbal, and
the
{-meH} verb should always have the appropriate prefix (or {-lu'}).  However,
it's been the policy on this list to accept such verbs without prefixes.  I've
bowed to that policy, and I've done it myself, but I'd really rather see it
verb, it _must_ be marked for subject by the appropriate prefix, an explicit
noun,
or by {-lu'}.
[..]
>> Okrand
>> has used the {-meH} construction impersonally without {-lu'}, as in
>> {ghojmeH taj}, {pe'meH taj}, and I don't think it's needed in this case.
>>
>True, but these examples also do not have subjects or objects
>for the verb with {-meH}. It is a fundamentally different use
>of these verbs, undescribed by the rules in TKD, but very
>consistent in Okrand's useage.

I was looking over my notes, and I found the canon phrase {nargh
qaSuchmeH 'eb} (from a MO MSN posting).  Now, is
this the same usage as the infinitive usage above, and if not, why not?
Both {ghojmeH} and {qaSuchmeH} are modifying a noun.  Why does one
take a prefix and the other not? Or are we to understand {ghojmeH taj} as a
shortened form of something like ??{ghojmeH vay''e' taj} (using {-'e'} to mark
the subject of {ghojmeH} like we do with {-bogh} verbs).

I guess my point here is that Okrand has used {-meH} verbs as noun modifiers
without any obvious subject in a way that seems impersonal to me, and
also used them as noun modifiers with stated subjects and objects.  It seems
me that this means that the "infinitive" usage is _not_ a special case but is
just another form of the usual {-meH} construction.  I guess what I'd like to
see is if Okrand has ever used {-meH} as a dependent verb phrase with an
impersonal meaning and no prefix or {-lu'}.

It boils down to two questions: does the {-meH} construction behave the same
way
when it is a verb phrase and when it is modifying a noun, or are there
different
rules for the two usages; and, can the impersonal be rendered in {-meH}
constructions by no actual prefix, or is {-lu'} required?

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level