tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 04 12:20:28 1998

Re: KLBC: Q on {-meH}

O.K. next try :-)

qawchu'chugh...

<<qIpmeH Qatlh'a'?>> is canon.
I suppose we can infer that <<qIpmeH Qatlh>> is proper too.
Within the context, this supposedly means the same as
<<Qatlh nejwI' qIpmeH Qu'>> or <<Qatlh qIpmeH Qu'>> eliding
the obvious <<nejwI'>>.

So, could we say that, as <<Qu'>> is the "obvious" subject,
we want to clip it for brevity; but now the {-meH} clause
has nothing to attach to anymore and thus drifts before the
verb?

At this point, I'd like to see some more canon usages of {-meH}
before asking further questions... however, there are probably
too many to cite them all, and most of them will be fine with
the strict interpretation of {-meH} as a marker for purposes...
I have no idea how to restrict the search, though... HELP!

                                            Marc Ruehlaender
                                            aka HomDoq
                                            [email protected]

Back to archive top level