tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 06 10:12:41 1998

Satlho'

Qov qarI'
Steven Boozer qarI'
I want to thank both of you! Steven for the song, Qov for his correction of my
klingon.
Steven, in the german version of the DS9 episode "Soldiers of the Empire" were
no subtitles. We klingon learning people seem to be a opressed minority here.
Everyone I tell that i'm learning klingon says I'd be nuts. The trouble is, they
are right! I think you know Johann Sebastian Bach. His name is "baH" (yes, like
to fire!). You see, we germans seem to be familiar to sounds like gh, H, Q, and
q. That'd be great! Because I have to practice them hard, I'm not upset if
american actors who don't know even one of this souns don't speake klingon
perfectly. But I ever thought klingons would not make a difference between male
or female (exept they dissapear with each other at partys of course!!!!!), only
between honourfull and honourless. If so it should be: Qoy qeylIS puq (that's
shorter to write, so I would prefer it (lazyyyyy!) and it does not remind me of
that rediculous women-power-movement that helped to force me from human to
klingon culture). Mark Okrand's literal back translation must be different to
Hilery Bader's lyrics. If you translate something from one language to another
and back to the first you never get exactly the first version. This will be the
worst problem of the european union.
Qov, if qay' means "be a problem", it also should mean "problem". I ever thaught
in klingon's no word for "to be" so only "a problem" remains.
Olaf 'oH pongwIj'e' sounds better, but is it really klingon? The klingon culture
is a very direct one so I think a klingon would say "If I say b'elanna jIH
everyone knows b'elanna's my name exept he's Pakled". I left "'" off "'oH". I
also always wrote "te" instead of "the" in my english examinations. See? Shit
happens! In my dictionary "Qapla'" is written "qapla'". One more reason not to
trust it and to learn klingon here!
(Please excuse if I made some mistakes. I'm just not the best in english.)

batlh boHegh

Back to archive top level