tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 01 21:38:47 1998

Re: SuvwI'bom

At 12:38 98-05-29 -0700, Olaf wrote:
}Olaf jIH
Some people reject this simple form for introductions, but I think it's
fine. "My name is Olaf" would be {Olaf 'oH pongwIj'e'}.

}tlhIngan Hol vIghoj 'ej qay' vIghaj

/qay'/ means "be a problem"  not "problem"  So you can't say */qay' vIghaj/
because that would mean *"I have a it is a problem."  Maybe say, {qay' vay'}
"Something is a problem."

}SuvwI'bom oH

t a Warriorsong?

You may not leave the {'} off {'oH} any more than you may leave the "i" off
"it."  And there is no need to concatenate the two words.  {SuvwI' bom 'oH}
"It's a warrior song" is fine.

}lubompa' SuvwI'pu' SuvchoHtaH

You've got this bit backwards. {-pa'} goes on the thing that the other part
of the sentence is done before. {lubompa' SuvwI'pu'} means "before they sing
it."

The suffix {-taH} is used to emphasize that an action is continuing.
{SuvchoHtaH} implies that beginning to fight is a process with no forseeable
end. You can't sub in {-taH} for "-ing" in every translation, if that's what
you were doing.

lubom SuvwIpu' SuvchoHpa'
"The warriors sing it before they begin fighting"

}terra'ngan Hol mughta'wI' vIghajnIS

tera' - one "r"
mughta'wI' means "one who has translated" not "thing that has been
translated" We don't have a noun meaning translation.  I suggest something
like, {tera'ngan Hol bom mu' vIghajnIS}.

}I am Olaf. I'm learning klingon and I have a problem. The song of the warrior.
}It's sung by the warriors before they start fighting. It's on the third CD of
}StarTrek Klingon the anthem1.wav. I 'd like to have the english translation
(and
}the text in klingon).
}By the way: I'm nineteen years old and in september I will go to the army. I
}hope I'm able to bring some klingon culture to that burocratic institution!!

}qapla'

The capital Q is required on Qapla'.

Not a bad start.  batlh DaSuvjaj.

Qov     [email protected]