tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 01 11:28:11 1998

Re: Beginner's questions

: qronaH 'oH pongwIj'e'. (Hope this is correct for "my name is..." even after
: reading the FAQ I am still confused).

Your name is, of course, _your_ name but you might consider spelling it
{QonaH}, or even {Qo'naH} if the stress falls on the first syllable.
Capital /Q/ is usually, though not always, rendered in English as "kr":

     Qaj            kradge (a type of animal)
     *Qanqor        Krankor (PN, this listserv's first Beginning Grammarian)
     QaS            Kras (PN)
     Qa'            type of vicious animal, spelled *kra by some
     Qel            Krell (PN)
     QI'tomer       Khitomer (GN)
     QI'tu'         Qui'Tu, the Klingon Paradise (source of creation)
     Qogh           type of animal (a pet), spelled *krog or *krol by some
     Qotmagh        Krotmag (PN)
     Qotmagh Sep    Krotmag region (GN)
     Qo'noS         Kronos, the Klingon homeworld (GN)
     Qugh           Kruge (PN)

: First, to help my understanding/learning of tlhIngan Hol, I am trying to write
: out all the phrases and words used in the tape Conversational Klingon. Finding
: most of the words and phrases is simple since the english is given making
: looking up the correct tlhIngan simple. However, I'm having trouble with the
: very beginning of the tape (the intro scene rendered in tlhIngan Hol...which
: starts out with "tujqu'choH QuQ"). While I understand some of the phrases
: uttered in the scene, I can't figure out most of the middle. Would anyone be
: able to write down the whole scene with its translation?

Here's my transciption of that scene:

     tujqu'choH QuQ.
       [The engine is overheating.]
     nughoS chaH.
       [They approach us.]
     chay' jura'?
       [What are your orders?]
     Qu'vatlh!
       [@#$%!! (expletive)]
     batlh maHegh.
       [We die honorably.]
     cha yIghuS!
       [Stand by torpedoes!]
     So'wI' yIchu'Ha'!
       [Deactivate cloaking device!]
     baH!
       [Fire! (Clipped)]
     bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh.
       [Surrender or die.]
     tlhIngan maH!
       [We are Klingons!]

You'll notice that almost all the lines are given as examples somewhere in
TKD (don't forget to check the "Appendix of Useful Phrases" in the back).

Voragh

Back to archive top level