tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 01 09:14:08 1998

KLBC: Pronouncing the "H"

nuqneH

I have a question about pronouncing the "H" letter. All of the sources say to
pronounce "H" as in the ch in Bach (refered to as the "ch sound" in the rest
of this email). In listening to Marc Okrand on Conversational Klingon and the
Klingon-CD,  I seem to hear some discrepencies. There is no doubt that I hear
the "ch sound" in words that end in "H" such as baH, DaH, chuyDaH ect.

If the "H" is in the beginning of the word the "ch sound" seems very softened,
if its used at all. When he pronounces words such as Hol or HoD  there are
times when it sounds just like the english "h" and other times like a very
weak english "k" and not the more distinct and sharper "ch sound". Other words
such as HIq HIvje'mey don't seem to use anything but the english "h" sound.

Words, especially long words,  that have an "H" somewhere in the middle he
seems to pronounce almost exclusively as the english "h", for example
DaHaDrup'a'.

Any help in straightening me out is greatly appreciated.

- qronaH

Back to archive top level