tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 15 15:53:27 1998

Re: KLBC Sentence Structure Question

---Katie Moncelsi  wrote:

> > The sentence
> > > I like this, but not that.
> > translated into Klingon requires more than just a change in word
> > order.  I'd like you to please give it a try in Klingon.  Here's two
> > hints:
> > 1. In Klingon you have to say "this thing" or "this idea" or "this
> > food" -- you can't just say "this."
> > 2. In Klingon "not" is not a separate word.
>
> Dochvam vIparHa' 'ach parHa'vetlhbe'
> Is that right?

The first part is perfect.  You have the right word order, the suffix
/-vam/ used properly and the right prefix on your verb.

Dochvam vIparHa' - I like this thing.

But in the second part, you've put the NOUN suffix /-vetlh/ on the
VERB /parHa'/.  That's a no-no.

To say it correctly in Klingon you need to repeat Doch, and repeat the
verb prefix.

Dochvam vIparHa' 'ach Dochvetlh vIparHa'be'.
"I like this thing but I don't like that thing."

Also consider saying:

Dochvam vIparHa' 'ach Dochvetlh vIpar.

like/dislike - not exactly the same as like/don't like, so you decide
which is better for you.

==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian