tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 26 21:16:26 1998

Re: KLBC - mu'tlheghmey *random* vIchenmoH

tuv'el jang Qov:
>> "The general has transferred from Nimbus III to Earth."
>> tlhIngan Hol mu'tlhegh lughlaw', qar'a'?
>
>SIbI' jIghel vIneH <nuq Qaypu' ghaH?>.  chaq bIlugh.  /Qaylu'pu'/
>/Qay'eghpu'/ vImaS jIH 'ach bImujbejbe'.

tuv'el mu'tlhegh vIpar jIH.  vay''e' Qaylu'ba'.

>> chab 'oH 'Iw HIqlIj puj'e' 'e' DaHar'a'?
>
>Which, as you know, would be likely interpreted as "pie" not as
>"innovation" because of the food rerference.  Sounds liek a pretty
>good insult to a poorly made rokeg blood pie.  Prepare for battle if
>the chef is a Klingon. :)

Isn't the slang term {chab chu'} "new pie", not just {chab}?  I'm sure
that's how I remember it, but I have searched KGT from cover to cover
without finding it mentioned anywhere.

*I* think {chab chu' 'oH 'Iw HIqlIj puj'e'...} makes a wonderful pun.

>...Sadly, as we have no body of ancient Klingon
>literature to comb, we can't follow the evolution of the vocabulary.

It is fun to read the descriptions that Okrand gives on the subject,
however.  I like the way {baghneQ} and {ra'taj} and {chetvI'} have
their little "histories".  It gives the language some texture. :-)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level