tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 16 20:12:03 1998

Re: Alternative approach to learning klingon

ja' Matt Peperell <[email protected]>:
>What about obtaining klingon texts, such as Shakespeare / The Bible and
>translating into english to implant klingon grammer in my brain.

Sure, that's a reasonable way to do it.  But remember that the goal is
not necessarily to translate, but simply to understand.  Translating
into English won't really "implant klingon grammer [sic]", but reading
lots of well-written Klingon text will.

There are a few pieces of Bible translations on the KLI's FTP site, as
well as a not-quite-final version of Hamlet and some ancient imperfect
translations of some of Aesop's fables.  They probably aren't great to
use as language practice, though, since they *are* translations from
English (or Hebrew) instead of original compositions in Klingon.

The archives of this mailing list are littered with lots of well-written
Klingon text.  Unfortunately, it's not possible today to retrieve only
those messages; you'll have to go searching for them yourself.  Again,
unfortunately, there's no good way for you to know which ones they are
until after you've tried to read and/or translate them.

HolQeD 4:4 (December 1995) contains a short story that was intended as
a translation exercise.  Things like that are yet another reason to be
a full-fledged KLI member (and to obtain the back issues).  It was one
of Captain Krankor's "Grammarian's Desk" columns, and was reprinted in
the book "The Grammarian's Desk", a collection of his columns from the
first four years of HolQeD.

All three issues (so far) of {jatmey} are chock full of Klingon stories
and poems to be read and appreciated.  If that's what you want, there
they are, waiting for you.

Back to archive top level