tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 16 20:13:52 1998

Re: DuSaQqoqvetlh vIpar

Sunday, August 16, 1998

Greetings.

Dawut here. Responding to Qov's reply.

> There may be some questionables in there.
may be? What was I thinking? Of course there are.

//Qov's reply to my sentences
>> De'wI'mey vIyaj vIneH vaj DuSaQ vIghoSta'.
>> I wanted to understand computers so I went to school.
>
>Keep in mind that "I went to school" lit. "I have come to school" in
>English has the meaning "sign up for courses and attend classes."  We
>don't know that the Klingon meaning is more than "approached the
>school building."

yaj. I understand completely. I looked for an equivalent to "attend" and
"enroll" etc., but went with a shorter sentence (and broader concept)
for brevity and to avoid excessive errors.

>> DuSaQ muvta' loDnI'wI' je.
>> My brother joined the school too.
>
>For /je/ to mean "also" you need to put it after the verb.

Yep. Thanks for the reminder. That's on p.55, 5.3 Conjunctions.
{DuSaQ muv je loDnI'wI'} "My brother also joined the school."

>I probably wouldn't have used perfective here, unless my brother had
>been done joining the school before I joined.  You know that /DuSaQ
>muv je loDnalwI'/ means "my brother joined the school, too," right?

HISlaH. I understand that {muv} is: join/joined/will join.
I used the type 7 suffix, {-ta'} "accomplished, done" to convey that his
joining the school is intentionally accomplished as the sentence is
being "said."  Also a type 7, the {-pu') suffix is perfective.

>> DuSaQvetlhDaq juppu' chu' maghompu'
>> 'ach DuSaQvetlhDaq pagh maghojpu'
>> We met new friends at that school,
>> but we learned nothing at that school.
>
>In both these sentences you've used the wrong prefix on the verb.
>/ma-/ - we-no object
>/wI-/ - we-3rd person singular object
>/DI-/ - we-3rd person plural object

Agreed. These should be:  {DuSaQvetlhDaq juppu' chu' DIghompu'} and
{'ach DuSaQvetlhDaq pagh wI'ghojpu'}.

These are the prefixes with which I have the most errors. Maybe it's
taking me longer to memorize them. Most of the time I'm pretty good
distinguishing between {ma-} and {wI-} while forgetting about {DI-}; not
this time.

I used {ma-} in the first sentence completely by mistake (it was a
complete mistake to use it), but the second use was a case of
operational illogic. Because I used {pagh} "nothing", that became the
object, which would then need {wI-}.  For {ma-} to be correct, I'd have
to take out the object, {pagh}, for something like {DuSaQvetlhDaq
maghojbe'}. Right?

>> maghoj'eghmoHpu'
>> We taught ourselves.
>
>naDev Sughoj'eghnISmoH je. :)

Agreed. And naDev we don't have to cough up a few SanID to do it. ;)

>> DuSaQqoqvetlhDaq vIcheghqa'Qo'.
>> I won't return to that so-called school again.
>
>With /-Daq/ on the location the verb of motion takes a no-object
>prefix.  /jIchegh/.

I didn't remember that. Can you point me to a TKD section?
I don't see that under the description of {-Daq) in 3.3.5.
I'll read that section a few more times anyway.

>> tlhIngan Hol vIHaDmeH poH vIghaj, DuSaQqoqvetlh vIbupmo'.
>> Because I quit that school, I'll have time to study the Klingon
>> language.
>
>"have time" may be an idiom that can't be translated literally into
>Klingon.

I do know that the English "have time" isn't the best translation. "I
possess a period of time" is more what I was attempting.  What I
originally wanted to express was that I "have more time" to study. Any
thoughts on "more"?

> yIghoj'eghmoHtaH.

lu'. jIghojtaH 'ej pIj choboQbej.

tlhIngan Hol HaD vItIv.
"I enjoy the study of the Klingon language."

tlhIngan Hol vIHaD 'e' vItIv.
"I enjoy studying the Klingon language."

*****
Dawut (Dave)
[email protected]
[email protected]