tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 16 17:13:19 1998

Re: DuSaQqoqvetlh vIpar

---"Dawut [Dave]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sunday, August 16, 1998
>
> Greetings.
>
> Here's a string of sentences for amusement and evaluation.
> There may be some questionables in there.
>
> De'wI'mey vIyaj vIneH vaj DuSaQ vIghoSta'.
> I wanted to understand computers so I went to school.

Keep in mind that "I went to school" lit. "I have come to school" in
English has the meaning "sign up for courses and attend classes."  We
don't know that the Klingon meaning is more than "approached the
school building."

> DuSaQ muvta' loDnI'wI' je.
> My brother joined the school too.

For /je/ to mean "also" you need to put it after the verb.
I probably wouldn't have used perfective here, unless my brother had
been done joining the school before I joined.  You know that /DuSaQ
muv je loDnalwI'/ means "my brother joined the school, too," right?

> DuSaQvetlhDaq juppu' chu' maghompu'
> 'ach DuSaQvetlhDaq pagh maghojpu'
> We met new friends at that school,
> but we learned nothing at that school.

In both these sentences you've used the wrong prefix on the verb.
/ma-/ - we-no object
/wI-/ - we-3rd person singular object
/DI-/ - we-3rd person plural object

> maghoj'eghmoHpu'
> We taught ourselves.

naDev Sughoj'eghnISmoH je. :)

> DuSaQvetlhDaq ghojmoHlaHbe' ghojmoHwI'qoq.
> The so-called teachers can't teach at that school.
>
> jIH loDnI'wI' jupwI' je nuquvHa'moH DuSaQvetlh.
> That school dishonors me, my brother, and my friends.
>
> pabwI' pop DuSaQvetlh 'ej DevwI' Hup DuSaQvetlh.
> That school rewards followers and punishes leaders.
>
> ghe'tor rurbej DuSaQqoqvetlh.
> That so-called school definitely resembles Gre'thor.
>
> DuSaQqoqvetlh vIbup.
> I quit that so-called school.

maj.

> DuSaQqoqvetlhDaq vIcheghqa'Qo'.
> I won't return to that so-called school again.

With /-Daq/ on the location the verb of motion takes a no-object
prefix.  /jIchegh/.

> tlhIngan Hol vIHaDmeH poH vIghaj, DuSaQqoqvetlh vIbupmo'.
> Because I quit that school, I'll have time to study the Klingon
> language.

"have time" may be an idiom that can't be translated literally into
Klingon.

> jatlh Mark Twain:
> "Never let your schooling get in the way of your education."
>
> pItlh.

maj.  yIghoj'eghmoHtaH.
==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian